What is SQL?
- SQL stands for Structured Query Language
- SQL lets you access and manipulate databases
- SQL is an ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standard
What Can SQL do?
- SQL can execute queries against a database
- SQL can retrieve data from a database
- SQL can insert records in a database
- SQL can update records in a database
- SQL can delete records from a database
- SQL can create new databases
- SQL can create new tables in a database
- SQL can create stored procedures in a database
- SQL can create views in a database
- SQL can set permissions on tables, procedures, and views
Using SQL in Your Web Site
To build a web site that shows data from a database, you will need:
- An RDBMS database program (i.e. MS Access, SQL Server, MySQL)
- To use a server-side scripting language, like PHP or ASP
- To use SQL to get the data you want
- To use HTML / CSS
RDBMS stands for Relational Database Management System.
So… Here’s how to get started if this is your first time ever to even hear these words.
1) Setting up SQl, MySQL on Bluehost
Setting up SQl, MySQL on Bluehost
First SQL -is a language and MySQL is a database product.
Here’s how to setup a database in Bluehost
Step 1 – Login to your BlueHost account
Step 2 – Click the MySQL Database Link
Step 3 – Name your new database and click create database (*see screenshot below)
Step 4) Click the “Jump to MySQL” link
Step 5) Enter username and password for new user
Step 6) Click the new user name you created and the new database name you just setup in the dropdown and click “Add”
Step 7) Select “All Privileges” then click the “Make Changes” button
Now Your NEW database is setup!
Now that the database is setup – WTF?!?! How do you get data in it?
You’ll need to install MySQL Workbench
Once its installed it’ll load up and and the MySQL workbench program will launch but you wont have any connections to your database yet.
- Note: If connecting from your home computer, you need a MySQL client like Navicat, phpMyAdmin, Workbench or Dreamweaver.